Content Writing Intern
Maestro is seeking a content writing intern for a paid, summer-long program designed to expose the intern to real, client-facing work primarily in the field of instructional design. If you don’t know what that is, that’s OK—you’ll have the opportunity to learn about it! We expect this internship to run from May through August 2020, but don’t worry—we can be flexible on the specifics.
Who we are
Who you are
Maybe you’re an English major itching to use your writing skills in a professional environment. Perhaps you’re a recent graduate looking for a foot in the door in the creative industry. Whoever you are, you’re confident in your writing skills and open to learning, growing, and experiencing new things.
When it comes to writing, you don’t just know how to string together a sentence; you can explain why you wrote something the way you did. You know your tenses, clauses, and punctuation, and you probably have opinions about them. You’re vigilant about adhering to style guides—even when they contradict your own personal style—and you’re willing to offer up potential guidelines when they don’t already exist. You detest comma splices. You’re a grammar pro, a keen editor, and, of course, #teamoxfordcomma.
Of course, your communication skills extend off the page. Maestro is a highly collaborative environment, so you’re willing and able to present and clearly explain your work to coworkers and clients alike. But it’s not always about the work; you’re also comfortable having real, open conversations with your coworkers.
What you’ll be doing on the Learning Team
You’ll begin the internship learning about industry standards and shadowing meetings with clients, eventually taking on client-facing projects and additional assignments. While much of your work will concern instructional design, you’ll also have opportunities to work on other types of projects as they arise. Approaching the end of the internship, you’ll be expected to work with minimal guidance.
- Learn about processes, workflows, and best practices in the instructional design field
- Research a variety of source materials such as marketing brochures, standard operating procedures, and client feedback to inform written deliverables
- Develop outlines, storyboards, and scripts
- Review and edit written materials at designated milestones
- Perform additional tasks, such as copyediting Maestro projects and contributing to internal Maestro training resources
- Dedicate full-time hours to this internship
Talents we’re looking for
- Dynamic writing skill, with an understanding that not all copy requires an academic writing style but does benefit from being well-organized and easy to read
- Ability to craft clear, well-organized copy while adhering to prescribed style guides
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Expertise in desktop publishing software (Google Docs and Microsoft Office)
- Bonus if you’re enrolled in or you recently graduated from a program in English, marketing, journalism, or similar
- Hourly compensation. We take your experience and talent level into great consideration
- Real world experience for notable clients that will enhance your resume
- Endless snacks for creative thought. Maestro’s known for spoiling the team
- Work/life balance. Life happens, and here you have the time and freedom to deal with it
We believe in an inclusive environment